Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Oscars-inspired! {CSS group project}

oscars-inspired!

Today, some of the CSS designers are rolling out the red carpet to bring you cards inspired by oscar-nominated movies.

It is beyond embarrassing to admit that I have only watched a handful of these movies, and that handful includes "Brave."  Because, I have kids.  And also: I loved it.

But that isn't the movie that inspired my card today.  I was inspired by "life of Pi."



In the trailer, when he is alone, on the still waters after the storm, the colors of the sky were incredible.  I took my cue from there and created this card:

oscars-inspired!

I stamped and masked a trio of clouds, and sponged inks in yellow, orange, red, and had it fade to a blue ocean at the bottom.  I also die-cut a few of the clouds and stamped a soft grid pattern (from "airmail") behind for some added texture.  

oscars-inspired!I thought the sentiment, (from "across the miles") was the perfect fit to represent the movie and Pi's amazing and fantastical journey... (I may not have seen the movie, but I have read the novel.)

And, more fringe fun:  I used the same Martha Stewart scissors that I did *here* to create yet another fringe, but this one is a double!  I worked the cardstock with my hands to break down its fibers and to make it more pliable, and then created a ruffle.  Once the ruffle was secured with a row of stitches, I used the MS scissors to create a fringe on either side.  They underline the sentiment, and also stand for a whimsical ocean.  I love it.

The little liquid pearls were created based on a different inspiration point:  I love collaborating with my friend Marlyn, from "montreal confections" and she was inspired to create cookies based on the same movie.  I love that we can inspire each other, across different mediums!

oscars-inspired!

Aren't they just the most beautiful works of art??  I squealed when I saw them.

There are other oscars-inspired cards waiting for you here: Tracy Audrey Laura Jennifer JJ (guest designer) ♥ CSS blog

10 comments:

  1. This is STUNNING... Seriously, one of my favourites from you!! It's just so SO gorgeous.

    I LOVED Brave... my family is Scottish (my brother actually lives in Edinburgh), so I was giddy the entire time watching it. MacRitchie is actually a sub-sect of the MacIntosh Clan, and the crazy haired guy representing the MacIntosh's looked like my hubs, so I got a serious kick out of that!! Kids or not, I ADORED Brave!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my God Elena - this is breathtaking!! Wow!! I love the gradual change of colour as your eye moves down the card, and the pop of aqua fringe at the bottom is so unexpected but works perfectly!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a nice color palate. So, is fringe the new scallop, yo? Love it. And you always have a treat to match. Your friend does such amazing work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soooooooo soft and pretty! I'm seeing a trend with the fringe methinks...and I like it!
    Hugs!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. GORGEOUS background! So pretty and I cannot get enough of your fringing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful card Elena, I love the finish on the card it has a tuscan feel to it

    ReplyDelete
  7. gorgeous!! those cookies are so amazing too!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well... I love all your cards, seriously. But this one, I think is my favorite, not only it's gorgeous, it feels so dreamy... I'm in love, hehe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello gorgeous card! Love that background and those clouds! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is gorgeous, Elena! Absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete